Good morning! Here is to day’s summary fromNigerian newspaper :
1. A bomb explosion occurred on Saturday at Yammama village near Malumfashi, Katsina State. The Police Command said five children were killed. The spokesman, SP Gambo Isah, said six other children were injured in the blast that occurred just before noon.
2. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released the final list of candidates for this year’s governorship election in Edo State. Festus Okoye, the National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday. According to Okoye, with the publication of the final list of candidates, no Political Party can withdraw or substitute any of the nominated candidates.
3. President Muhammad Buhari Saturday approved the naming of the Railway Complex in Agbor, Delta State after former President, Goodluck Jonathan. Buhari’s Special Assistant on New Media, Tolu Ogunlesi, made the announcement on Saturday. Ogunlesi quoted Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi, as saying the facility will be known as the Goodluck Jonathan Railway Station & Complex. The station is the operational hub of the Itakpe-Warri rail line.
4. The Prince of Idumuje-Ugboko in Aniocha North Local Government Area of Delta State, Prince Chukwunonso Nwoko has been arrested over an alleged murder. The Prince was arrested by the police early morning of Saturday. The Prince who has been parading himself as the Obi (monarch) of the Kingdom is currently cooling off his heels at the police cell where he is being interrogated and investigated.
5. Festus Keyamo, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, on Saturday urged Nigerians to disregard messages on the registration of Special Public Works programme, SPW. Keyamo said the message asking Nigerians to go and register at the state offices of National Directorate of Employment, NDE, should be disregarded. In a tweet, the minister said such directive would breach the COVID-19 guideline, stating that the selection would be done at local government levels and not at NDE state offices.
6. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has claimed no state reported any new COVID-19 case within the last 24 hours. NCDC, however, announced 653 outstanding cases which pushed the total number of confirmed cases to 36,107. In an update on its official website, the agency put death rate at 778, active cases at 20,391, discharged cases at 14,938 and samples already tested at 209,446.
7. The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, has admitted he made a wrong choice in his Deputy, Agboola Ajayi, who has now defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Akeredolu stated this while meeting party delegates in Igbekebo in Ese-Odo council area, ahead of the primaries on Monday. The Governor said he was happy that Ajayi showed his true colours, describing his exit from APC as ‘a cleansing.’
8. The National Council of Women Societies (NCWS), has called on the Federal Government to protect Joi Nunieh, a former Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), from all forms of harassment and intimidation while she faces probe. The National President of NCWS, Mrs Laraba Shoda, made the call in a statement in Abuja. Shoda said that Nunieh should be allowed to face the Senate Committee handling the probe to defend herself without intimidation.
9. Former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, has rubbished the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) account of how Tolulope Arotile died. On Saturday, the former presidential aide dismissed NAF’s the explanation. FFK wants to know the best friend that killed her, alleging that there is a cover up. He urged the Chief of Air Staff to investigate the matter thoroughly.
10. Kidnappers on Saturday abducted wife and son of the former Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, Zakawanu Garuba alongside many passengers plying the Okene/Lokoja road. The kidnappers struck along Irepeni, Lokoja-Okene Road and kidnapped the late Zakawanu Garuba’s wife and his son who are mourning Garuba who passed on in the early hours of Saturday in Abuja. They were kidnapped while traveling from Abuja to Auchi. The kidnappers according to sources left the aged mother of the lawmaker in the car.